From: "Jason Hibbets" <jhibbets redhat com>
To: osdc-list redhat com
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 3:46:05 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Osdc-list] Points system

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:45:25AM +0100, Werner Gold wrote:
>> @Quaid: Here is another interesting one:
>> http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/tom_chatfield_7_ways_games_reward_the_brain.html
>
> Yeah, it's true that this stuff works and interests people.  What
> happens with me, though, is that I notice when many places seem to
> have learned a similar set of lessons.  For example, it now seems that
> every site has "badges" that you can "unlock".  So I get rewarded for
> a new account, my first comment, etc.  *yawn*  It doesn't interest me
> when everyone does it.
>
> However, I've recently been tracking my daily cardiovascular workout
> using a program on my Android phone, and the badge that it puts in the
> status bar with how many (kilo)calories I've burned in the last 7 days
> *is* an incentive to me.  It's a constant reminder that spurs me on to
> improving (self-competition), which often means, "Make time to go for
> a bike ride today."
>
> So, I'll amend my earlier comments with these points:
>
> * If the reward system is clearly valuable and tied to the site
>   (v. bolted on to give rewards simply to attract people who want to
>   collect badges) ...
>
> * If the system transparently allows a community to rank up/down
>   content (and, via extension, writers and commentors) ...
>
> * If any revealed badges or point counts actually provide value
>   (calorie count == yes, I made my first post == no) ...
>
> ... then I could see a point/ranking system supporting the goals Jason
> stated (to get people to comment, rank, participate in polls, etc.)
>
> If we get to the point where we are ready to give a new laptop to our
> "top guru", then we have reached the point of failure.
>
> - Karsten

Good points Karsten. Let me ask this to you and everyone else then:

What would be the incentives or self-motivators for the opensource.com
community?

Regards,
Jason

Project Manager | Brand Communications + Design
Red Hat :: 1801 Varsity Drive :: Raleigh, NC  27606

http://opensource.com -- Where open source multiplies