Re: [Osdc-list] using The Open Source Way as a canonical reference

Karsten Wade wrote:
On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 08:32:36AM -0400, Ruth Suehle wrote:
On 03/31/2011 07:40 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
https://www.theopensourceway.org/wiki/TOSW_communications_plan#Bi-weekly
I have to work a bit harder at getting up some ideas. :-)
Maybe then it's better to start monthly, which I think Jeff suggested? Even if I think of my favorite books in the world, I'd have a hard time writing every two weeks about a single book for very long! You also don't want to burn out people's eyeballs and make them reach a point of, "Oh, another post about TOSW? Skip..." Monthly might help it stay fresher.

I'm going to agree that monthly is also a fine rhythm, but your
reasoning shows my flawed communication here so far.

The 2x/month articles ARE NOT, "Here is this cool book you should read
and follow."

The Yx/month articles ARE,
  "Here is this fairly complex story where the open source way was/was
  not followed, here are all the references back to the handbook,
  fixed that for you."

  "This cool system that Simon Phipps put together about how open a
  project is by default really needs a home in The Open Source Way;
  here is how I am going about remixing them together."

  "Last year we published about this cool and funny rating system that
  Spot put up when packaging Google Chrome. Well, things with Chrome
  aren't any better, but we have long wanted to improve Spot's system
  to be more generic, and maybe make a useful checklist for people to
  follow. Here's what that work and outcome looks like."

  "..."

Or even where we do workshops about TOSW, reporting the findings,
conclusions, and work done.

You'll notice that these aren't really all that different from
existing OSDC stories, except that I'll be deliberately highlighting
the handbook. Mainly, I want recognized contributors to TOSW to be
writing regularly for opensource.com in a way that highlights the
handbook and the community writing it.

BTW, you can consider the story on VA VistA that I co-authored with
Gunnar to be an example of exactly what I mean. :)

- Karsten

Karsten,

I agree. I think the monthly post should highlight the examples that are being compiled for TOSW and invite others to contribute theirs as well.

Jason