[Ovirt-devel] cobbler import of a repo with only noarch packages in it

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Sun Dec 28 05:05:02 UTC 2008

Perry Myers wrote:
> I'm trying to do a cobbler import of a directory structure that only has
> noarch packages in it.  I'm using the import to create a minimal pxe
> boot environment without needing to mirror all of the packages (we just
> use external repos for the packages)
>
> However, when I try to do a cobbler import of a directory structure that
> only contains noarch packages I get the following error:
>> + cobbler import --name=Fedora-10 --arch=x86_64
>> --path=/var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/Fedora-10-x86_64
>> sending incremental file list
>>
>> sent 392 bytes  received 16 bytes  816.00 bytes/sec
>> total size is 134808812  speedup is 330413.75
>> Given arch (x86_64) not found on imported tree
>> /var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/Fedora-10-x86_64/Packages
>>
>> - rsync -a  '/var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/Fedora-10-x86_64/'
>> /var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/Fedora-10-x86_64
>> --exclude-from=/etc/cobbler/rsync.exclude --progress
>> ---------------- (adding distros)
>> - found content (breed=redhat) at
>> /var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/Fedora-10-x86_64/images/pxeboot
>
> I know in the past we were able to import a directory structure with
> only noarch packages and still specify an arch (x86_64 or i386) and it
> didn't fail like above.  Is this a recent change or restriction?  Should
> we just add a single arch specific package to the directory structure to
> get around this?

So, for those of you using the 0.96 release or building new appliances
from the development repositories it appears that a new version of cobbler
in Fedora has broken the ovirt-appliance.

I've posted the above question to the cobbler mailing list to find out if
this was an intended change or something that recently broke in cobbler.
Hopefully it is the latter and an update to the cobbler package will fix
this.  The alternative is that we need to change the appliance build
procedure to account for this change and we'll have to do a 0.96-2 release
to fix this.

Thanks,

Perry