[Ovirt-devel] Re: cobbler import of a repo with only noarch packages in it

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Dec 31 21:40:59 UTC 2008

Perry Myers wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Perry Myers wrote:
>>> I'm trying to do a cobbler import of a directory structure that only
>>> has noarch packages in it.  I'm using the import to create a minimal
>>> pxe boot environment without needing to mirror all of the packages
>>> (we just use external repos for the packages)
>>>
>>> However, when I try to do a cobbler import of a directory structure
>>> that only contains noarch packages I get the following error:

>>> I know in the past we were able to import a directory structure with
>>> only noarch packages and still specify an arch (x86_64 or i386) and
>>> it didn't fail like above.  Is this a recent change or restriction?
>>> Should we just add a single arch specific package to the directory
>>> structure to get around this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Perry
>>>

>> It seems you want "cobbler repo add" and not "import", as you're
>> talking more about a noarch repo than an install tree.   I don't see
>> how you could get an installable distribution with just noarch
>> packages :)
>>
>> Import is for install trees, which can also be used as repos, yes.
>>
>> But repos are not == install trees.
>>
>> Does that make sense or did I miss something?
>>
>> If you're doing something really simple "cobbler distro add" alone
>> might suffice, though I'd like to understand a little more about the
>> use case to say for sure.
>
> We wanted to set up a distro and profile for using cobbler to install
> Fedora over pxe but without needing to put any of the rpms in our
> local cobbler install.
>
> i.e. our distro is just the kernel and initrd and the other images to
> do an anaconda install.  But the kickstart uses all remote repos for
> packages.
>
> That make sense?  It's sort of a niche use case.  We just wanted to
> provide on the oVirt Appliance a minimal cobbler setup so people could
> immediately deploy Fedora on oVirt Guests w/o needing to put the
> entire Fedora DVD into the appliance image.

Yeah, this is really simple to do still, I'd just skip cobbler import
altogether.

# cobbler distro add --name=foo --arch=x86 --initrd=/path/to/initrd
--kernel=/path/to/kernel
# cobbler profile add --name=bar --profile=foo
--kickstart=/path/to/kickstart_template.ks

Import is mainly there to assist folks with mirroring install trees (and
possibly more than one at a time), which you wouldn't need to do.   It
just makes it a two step process instead of one.