[Ovirt-devel] {Disarmed} Re: Provisioning Windows

Nicolas Ochem nicolas.ochem at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 10:54:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Justin Clacherty <justin at redfish.com.au>wrote:

>  Thanks Nicolas,
>
> On 10/09/2010 6:04 PM, Nicolas Ochem wrote:
>
>> 1. managing images using cobbler
>> I have not tried to do this. I import the NFS share in ovirt hardware
>> pool. Then, the images are imported as libvirt storage volumes and they are
>> available when I create a VM.
>> Cobbler version has been upgraded between fedora 11 and fedora 13. You are
>> probably the first one trying this under f13.
>> Is there a particular reason why you are using cobbler for this purpose ?
>>

> I was using cobbler because that's the way I first did it many moons ago
> when I started using ovirt (2008 I think), and in the absence of
> documentation to the contrary.... :-)
>
> I did try the NFS way but it didn't seem to work for me.  I most likely
> didn't do it correctly.  What I did was add the NFS share in the storage
> pool section.  When creating the VM I selected the appropriate iso in the
> storage section as well as the iscsi volume I wanted to install too.  When I
> started the VM it just said the disk wasn't bootable.  What's the correct
> way to do this?  Is there a way to specifiy boot order when you've selected
> multiple storage pools for the VM?

No, because libvirt has limited support for that. You can select whether to
boot from fd, hd, cdrom, or network, but you cannot specify a device in
particular. See http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsOSBIOS
What could be done is to add "cdrom" to ovirt boot options. Then it would
pass it to libvirt. But I'm afraid you have to submit the patch yourself :(
I assume the general idea is to prepare your VM using your desktop virt
management GUI and then move the prepared VMs to ovirt. That's how I do it.

>  2. booting from cdrom
>> I assume adding the cdrom iso in ovirt would also fix that issue. Besides
>> you will just encounter it once, for installation. Afterwards, you will
>> always boot from HD.
>>

> Yes, switched to boot from HD now.  If cobbler is the expected way to
> install though then this problem really needs to be fixed.  Though from (1)
> I'm assuming cobbler isn't the expected way to install from an ISO.

This "~" issue sure sounds like a bug, but again, probably you're the best
candidate to submit a fix.