Telnet and PAM

Hello,

I've seen in the archives where people are using Telnet
and PAM together, how?  I have OpenSSH authenticating
against OpenLDAP with nss_ldap and pam_ldat, but every
time I try to telnet to the machine I get the error:
Connection closed by foreign host.  It appears in the
LDAP logs to authenticate properly, but then it just
dies.

TIA,
Kelli