Big disk install problems

     I'm trying to install RedHat 5.0 from the RedHat CD-ROM and I keep running
into the same problem.

     I'm using a single new Samsung disk.  It is a 2.16GB disk with the
following geometry:

Cylinders: 4186
Heads:     16
Sectors:   63

     The rest of the machine is an Intel 80486DX2/66 with 16MBs RAM, a 24x
IDE CD-RM drive and a normal 1.44 MB floppy disk.

     I've tried various partitioning approaches using both Disk Druid and
fdisk, but I always get the same problem during install:

Error -2: reading header: success
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
unmounting filesystems...
/tmp/rhimage
/mnt/usr/mnt/
/proc
You may safely reboot your system.

     Most frequently this occurs during the stage where the filesystem is
being made and the disk formatted.  Once, I got all the way to the package
installation stage after a format.  But, if I choose not to format the disk
during the filesystem creation stage or if it actually formats without error,
at some point during the package installation the above will happen.

     I hav never completed the install.

     Is this something I am responsible for?  Or is the new disk broken?  How
can I tell if it is the disk at fault?

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker cs utexas edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page