Big disk install problems

     I'm trying to install RedHat 5.0 from the RedHat CD-ROM and I keep running
into the same problem.

     I'm using a single new Samsung disk.  It is a 2.16GB disk with the
following geometry:

Cylinders: 4186
Heads:     16
Sectors:   63

     The rest of the machine is an Intel 80486DX2/66 with 16MBs RAM, a 24x
IDE CD-RM drive and a normal 1.44 MB floppy disk.

     I've tried various partitioning approaches using both Disk Druid and
fdisk, but I always get the same problem during install:

Error -2: reading header: success
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
unmounting filesystems...
You may safely reboot your system.

     Most frequently this occurs during the stage where the filesystem is
being made and the disk formatted.  Once, I got all the way to the package
installation stage after a format.  But, if I choose not to format the disk
during the filesystem creation stage or if it actually formats without error,
at some point during the package installation the above will happen.

     I hav never completed the install.

     Is this something I am responsible for?  Or is the new disk broken?  How
can I tell if it is the disk at fault?

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker cs utexas edu
University of Texas at Austin                  Amateur Radio Callsign: KM5FA
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124               Maintainer of the Linux Laptop Home Page