Re: Network is unreachable

Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got RH Linux 5.0. I decided to setup DNS and connect my network through a
> router (cisco) to my ISP. When I boot the Linux machine I can ping my ISP.
> But once the router was disconnected from the ISP I cannot ping anything on
> the Internet anymore. I get the following message:
>
> ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
> ping: wrote 194.109.9.99 64 chars, ret=-1
>
> When I am browsing from another machine, there is no problem and the
> connection is build over and over again (as you might expect). When this
> connection is up again I still get the error Network is unreachable. So the
> router is configured properly, but apparently I made an error configuring
> my Linux server. Does anyone know what mistake I'm making?
>
> Cherio,
>
> Brenno de Winter.

Try "route add default [router address]" on your Linux box.  It is
apparently looking for a route to follow.

Paul Anderson
--
"Good morning, doctors.  I have taken the liberty of removing
Windows 95 from my hard drive."

Arthur C Clarke, author of 2001:A Space Odyssey, on the first words
he would have liked HAL, his fictional computer, to speak

Agape Information Systems
http://www.agapesystems.com