Re: Network is unreachable

Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got RH Linux 5.0. I decided to setup DNS and connect my network through a
> router (cisco) to my ISP. When I boot the Linux machine I can ping my ISP.
> But once the router was disconnected from the ISP I cannot ping anything on
> the Internet anymore. I get the following message:
>
> ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
> ping: wrote 194.109.9.99 64 chars, ret=-1
>
> When I am browsing from another machine, there is no problem and the
> connection is build over and over again (as you might expect). When this
> connection is up again I still get the error Network is unreachable. So the
> router is configured properly, but apparently I made an error configuring
> my Linux server. Does anyone know what mistake I'm making?
>
> Cherio,
>
> Brenno de Winter.

Brenno,

Check to assure that the following files contain the correct IP
addresses: /etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig/network and
etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth0 . Also check /etc/resolv.conf to make
certain that you have the appropriate name servers there.

When you did the install, did you setup the network when prompted or did
you skip it and setup afterwards? If you allowed Linux to select the
submasks/nets for you, you could possibly have an ip address error
there, which would be reflected in the files referenced above.

Good luck.