snmp router/hub monitoring

I am reporting this as it seems it never got to the list - or maybe no one
wants to help??

Hi all,
I'm having a problem with monitoring outside routers and hubs on my RH Linux
6.1 machine. Here's my situation.
I wish to display all incoming snmp traps from these devices on tty3. i
modified the syslog.conf and add the line "*.*  /dev/tty3". I know that it
will show everything, but I'm not sure how to do it otherwise.
Now, I changed the init.d syslog script to start as "syslogd -r -m 0". This
should be right to allow for network listening on udp 514. The services file
also has that entry.
Now, I go into my 3com hub or my Cisco 2501 and enable snmp traps to my
Linux box. But all I get are messages from "localhost" services running on
the Linux box (i.e. named.ftp, etc).

What am I missing?

Thanx