ppp0 continually redials

I'm almost embarassed to ask this question but cannot solve it after
several hours of trying.
  I've successfully setup ppp0 on other RH versions but cannot remember
this type of problem.  I setup all the information for the COM3 and IRQ
10 which is for my modem.  This is /dev/ttyS2 and the IRQ is set in a
rc.serial file located in /etc/rc.d.  Well, once I'd completed what I
thought was everything, ppp0 starts at boot time and dials just fine.
When I ping my ISP's DNS IP, I'm informed that the network is
unreachable.  Then the connection redials and redials and redials.
Every redial occurs every few minutes.
  What am I overlooking?
  Thanks in advance,
  Art Ross