From: Richard [mailto:degage teleport com]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 1:32 AM
To: redhat-install-list redhat com
Subject: Re: ATI Rage 128 Pro with Xree86 3.3.6

Karl Pearson wrote:

> I believe I helped my son with one of these. Since I learned to setup
> Xwindows using xf86config, I can only suggest using that tool. It has a
> pretty extensive database of video cards. To get it to work, as I recall,
> I had to select something other than an accelerated driver for the card.
> Also, I'm running RH6.1, which may have a different looking database.
>
> Karl L. Pearson
> Senior uniVerse Database Analyst
> Senior Unix/NT/Win Analyst
> karlp colubs com
>
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Mike Muscato wrote:
>
> -->Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 10:02:07 -0700
> -->From: Mike Muscato <muscato home com>
> -->To: redhat-install-list redhat com
> -->Subject: ATI Rage 128 Pro with Xree86 3.3.6
> -->
> -->I've just loaded Red Hat 6.2 on a Dell box with an ATI Rage 128 Pro.
Cannot
> -->get X to run on this sucker so far. I get the dreaded black screen
whenever
> -->I run startx or try to run XConfigurator or any of the probes in the
setup
> -->routine. I've been given a couple hints that have proved fruitless so
> -->far...added the line  ChipId 0x5246  in the devices section of the
> -->XF86Config file (suggested by a dude who maintains some ATI information
> -->pages...no good) And also modified the /etc/lilo.conf file with the
line
> -->vga=792 which is supposed to change the console module to VESA
video....not
> -->sure why this should help, and, in fact, it didn't.
> -->
> -->So...does anyone have a positive experience in getting one of these
things
> -->up and running or am I fighting a hopeless battle? So far the glacial
> -->response of Red Hat support has been of no use....5 days for an e-mail
> -->suggestion that got me to this point. Any suggestions are welcome and
> -->appreciated.
> -->
> -->Mike Muscato
> -->muscato home com
> -->
> -->
> -->--
> -->To unsubscribe: mail redhat-install-list-request redhat com with
> -->"unsubscribe" as the Subject.
> -->

In Xfree86 3.3.5 I had to download a file something like XFCom128 from
the SuSE site, www.suse.com,
and follow the directions that came with it to use it as the driver for
my ATI Rage Fury card,
which, I think, has essentially the same chipset.  In any case the
driver seems to recognize my
card as 128 and then set it up.  The comments with the file suggested
that acceleration was not
supported at that time.  I made no other changes to config files.  And I
had a similar response
from RedHat:  no response.  When I finally called they told me in no
uncertain terms that they
only distributed the XFree system, but did not provide techical support
for it.  As I understood
it from them:  they could help me install it, if that was the problem,
but not get it working with
my card.  I did not pursue the question of what earthly good it might be
installed, but not working.
According to info on the SuSE site, that XFCom file has been
incorporated into 3.3.6 but apparently
no acceleration yet.  You might want to try the XFree project site for
support.