Re: ATI Rage 128 Pro with Xree86 3.3.6

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Mike Muscato wrote:
> I've just loaded Red Hat 6.2 on a Dell box with an ATI Rage 128 Pro. Cannot
> get X to run on this sucker so far. I get the dreaded black screen whenever
> I run startx or try to run XConfigurator or any of the probes in the setup
> routine. I've been given a couple hints that have proved fruitless so
> far...added the line  ChipId 0x5246  in the devices section of the
> XF86Config file (suggested by a dude who maintains some ATI information
> pages...no good) And also modified the /etc/lilo.conf file with the line
> vga=792 which is supposed to change the console module to VESA video....not
> sure why this should help, and, in fact, it didn't.
>
> So...does anyone have a positive experience in getting one of these things
> up and running or am I fighting a hopeless battle? So far the glacial
> response of Red Hat support has been of no use....5 days for an e-mail
> suggestion that got me to this point. Any suggestions are welcome and
> appreciated.

   I'm using the regular Rage 128 (XPERT 128). When using xf86setup or
XConfigurator, I believe I was told by the program to not choose a Chipset
(just hit enter at chipset selection screen) and do NOT probe clock settings.
I'm not sure if the PRO works the same way. When I installed 6.2 it correctly
identified my card, but choosing to test the configuration messed up my screen
when the RPM's were installed. I blew that installation away and didn't choose
to test it the second time (even though everything seemed to work). The only
thing I didn't like was that it set my card up for some odd resolution like 1180
x817 or so (I went in and edited my /etc/X11/XF86Config file and deleted
all the resolutions above 1024x768).

Jerry