DNS problem, nslookup not working

I'm not sure which list this question is best suited for, so if
I should have sent it to another list, please let me know and
I'll submit it there.

I've recently reinstalled Rh6.1 on a machine that my company
will be using as a server (name, mail, web, file) and am
having some problems with the nameserver.  I am able to connect
to machines by hostname (open netscape, plug in www.yahoo.com,
no problem) but when I type nslookup I get:

[bab1 npisrv1 bab1]$ nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.3.5: Server failed
*** Default servers are not available

Now, my server is npisrv1.n-p-i.net, with an IP address of
192.168.3.5 as viewed from behind a switch (I think that's the
correct term), and as 216.230.78.179 as viewed from machines
elsewhere on the internet.

One general question I have is, if I'm using this machine as a
nameserver, do I need another nameserver (for example, my
ISP's nameserver) anywhere in my system?

I'm reading sections from Red Hat Linux 6 Server by Kabir and
the O'Reilly DNS and BIND (3rd ed.) by Albitz and Liu, but I'm
still confused.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Brian

I've included all relevant files (I think) including:

/etc/hosts
/etc/host.conf
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/named.conf