Printer Daemon Keeps Dying

Hi.
I fixed my last printer problem with RH6.2 by chmod'ing the directories
for the lpd and lp directories.  However, the daemon keeps dying and I have
to restart it for every print job.  I suppose I can get around this by
running a cron job but this seems pretty wasteful.  Is this a known problem?
I've seen references to it in past version discussions and experienced it
with 5.2 but I thought it had been fixed.  I can't find anything in the
current bug reports.
cheers.

John Helly, University of California, San Diego
Sequoyah Hall (SEQ)/ San Diego Supercomputer Center
9500 Gilman Dr. Mail Code 0527
La Jolla CA 92093-0527
Phone: Voice +01 858 534 5060 / FAX +01 858 822 3631
Deliveries: 10100 Hopkins Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093