Re: Samba installation

Hello,
I'm running samba but havn't gotten printing working yet :(
Here's how it works for me....
When I boot the Win98 box I enter my linux user name and passwd in the
networking box.
If I want to map the network drives to the linux boxes in windows explorer I
enter \\192.168.0.1\username and \\192.168.0.15\username respectively.
Before you can do this you need to run smbpasswd -a

To run the samba client to connect to the windows box....
smbclient  \\\\boxname\\sharename
In order to get boxname to work edit hosts.allow
At the passwd prompt, I enter the passwd that I entered in Win98 netwoking box
on boot.

To edit the smb.conf file just fire up emacs or your editor of choice.
Uncomment or add these two line to the global section....
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

FWIW, I didn't have to edit the registry on the win98 box to get encryted
passwords to work.

laterz,
<<zank>>