From: Joel Taqueban [mailto:jtaqueba apme-ops dhl com]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 May 2000 16:56
To: redhat-install-list redhat com
Subject: /etc/hosts vs dns server

dear admins

how do i tell my linux box to look into my /etc/hosts file first before looking into a dns server when resolving an IP address or hostname?

i've edited the /etc/resolv.conf and looked into /etc/nsswitch.conf

particularly i have this entries on /etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:     files nisplus nis
shadow:     files nisplus nis
group:      files nisplus nis

hosts:      files nisplus nis dns

services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

netgroup:   nisplus

publickey:  nisplus

automount:  files nisplus
aliases:    files nisplus

Anything I need to change from the above so the my system looks into /etc/hosts file first before my dns?

Joel