Re: RP3 under RH 6.1

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 01:56:13AM -0400, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Does anybody have good experience with Gnome's RP3 dialer?

Precious little.

> I have several problems with it:
>
> - RP3 has accepted a modem that has been configured as /dev/ttyS2 from
> within RH 6.1 but from within RP3 it tries to use some strange AT
> commands, not compatible with that model. Where is RP3's init string
> located in order to fix that?

In /etc/wvdial.conf.

> - After dialing a number, ppp negotiation is being started, but there is
> not successful connection as a result (from within KDE's KPPP it is ok).

Make sure you have debugging turned on.  Don't know of any way to do
that from rp3-config except to hit the debug button and it will do a
trial connection and show you the results.  I just tried it on mine and
it didn't work right.  The old netcfg would let you set debug as a ppp
option as well has debug the chat operation.  You can do that by hand by
adding this line to your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0:

  DEBUG=yes

Then look at /var/log/messages while the link is coming up.  Use (as
root)

  tail -f /var/log/messages

> - Is it possible to manage multiple numbers of the ISP to be dialed
> sequentially if one of them is busy, so to dial other numbers? (From
> KDE's KPPP also ok)

Probably not.  It seems to do only the commonly needed stuff, and not
much of that.

> - Why RP3 seems to 'remember' if an ISP name has been deleted from the
> list and if it is needed that an ISP with the same name to be added to
> the list, RP3 complains that's such a name already existing (but an
> input is deleted).

That is more rp3-config brain damage (IMHO).  When you delete an entry
it is not deleted from /etc/wvdial.conf, whence cometh the carping.
Edit the file manually to remove the deleted entries.

> Misko

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr.            | This is Linux country.
Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.   | On a clear night