Internal PCI Modems

I know this topic tends to do the rounds quite a bit, but I was hoping
someone might have had some success with the internal Diamond SupraExpress
56k PCI modem.

I simply can't get Linux to detect the modem.  I've read the modem FAQ, and
from previous threads I've gathered that internal modems are troublesome,
but I was hoping someone may know of a solution.

Many thanks in advance,

Stu