Re: NIS Server and Client

Kevin_Saenz dell com wrote:

> Has any one got a no nonsence and easy way to configure
> both a NIS server and NIS Client. I have been doing a lot
> of RTFM and have got no where. I would like to get NIS
> running nicely.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin Saenz

hmmm have you checked the NIS howto?

off the top of my head:

make sure the source files are the way you want them,
RH  will probably default to using shadow passwords for NIS so you may
have to run pwconv and grpconv or hack the NIS makefile.

make sure NISDOMAIN is set in /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/yp*.conf
make sense and domainname is returning your NIS domain

run ypserv (/etc/rc.d/init.d/ypserv start)

initialise the maps by running /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m (you will be
prompted for the names of slave servers etc)
If any of the maps fail go back and fix the problem ( might be as simple
as touch /etc/somefile)

run ypbind (/etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind start)

and you should be able to do ypwhich.
--
Iain Rae
Computing Officer