Upgrade glibc from RH 5.1 to RH 6.x

I need to upgrade the glibc library (currently glibc-2.0.7-13) in order to install both KDE and GNOME.
I already tried it once, and the system CRASHED miserably =(... I couldn't even start the system with the emergency boot option because the libc library wouldn't let init get passed!!! (is that a flaw in init???)
Any way, I got all these files that apparently contain an updated version and one of such files is glibc-2.1.2-15.i386.rpm (a newer version that mine). If I try the upgrade, it says that it cannot procede because of dependencies. So I go and remove the offending package and it say that there are more dependencies. Again, I remove the second package and succeed. Remove the first offending package and succeed again. Finally, try to upgrade glibc and it says that there is a problem with the compression in the package!?!?! That's when the system crashed.
If I try to upgrade the RPM package itself first, it says that it needs glibc updated, and it seems to me, that the problem comes from an outdated RPM.
Is there a sequence to upgrade the system without having to reinstall again everything? I really don't want to do that, because first of all, the files come in a CD-R and they seem to belong to a distribution like turbolinux or something like that, and secondly (and more important) this computer has got several pieces of hardware not supported directly from the instalation, like a SCSI card, an IBM 9GB SCSI Hard Disk, an LS-120 floppy, a 2x 8Megs AGP video card, a linmodem (yeap, I got one, and it really works!!!), and other stuff that I really wouldn't like to configure AGAIN!
I really appreciate any light on this, I cannot ruin the system again, because it is configured as an IP-Masquerading server with 7 machines around it.
Thanks.
Alfredo.