I'm confuzzed!

I'm really confuzzed (pronounce it the way it's spelled) about a couple
things, here...  Could somebody *please* explain to me what the _HECK_ is
going on here?

1)  Samba doesn't start on system boot up, I have to do it manually.  Looked
into /etc/rc.d/rc?.d, and there are no SXXsmb files.  So, I went into rc3.d,
and created a link to /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb (ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
S35smbTom)....  Reboot the machine, and it no workie...  I checked the
permissions, & as far as I can tell, they're identical to every other SXX???
file in the directory...  Whazzup with that?

2)  Got a preliminary IPCHANS script put together.  Interestingly enough,
when I type "./rc.firewall", the machine comes back & tells me something
along the lines of "file not found"....  I do an ls, and sure enough, the
file is sitting right there!  Doesn't matter if I rename it to something
else, same crap happens...

3) Just a question, maybe someone can answer....  is the rcX.d directories
the best place to ensure that daemons don't run (IE DNS, NFS, or whatever),
by erasing the SXX??? files, or maybe the actual files they point to in the
init.d directory, or is there some better (nicer) way of shutting this stuff
down these days?  Also, which ones should I be sure _NOT_ to turn off?

Thanks all,

	Tom Burke