RE: I'm confuzzed!

  Well as far as seeing why samba isn't starting at boot is pretty easy.
There are several ways to accomplish this, first off we need to know which
run level your in, either cat your /etc/inittab and see which is default, or
at the command line type who -r.  If your run level is indeed 3 then I think
your problem might be the same as question 2.  When creating the scripts did
you make them executable (chmod 755 S*smb or chmod 755 rc.firewall)??  Try
that i'm sure that may be your problem..8)

  I would suggest configuring your rc scripts via linuxconf or the chkconfig
command, It makes life a heck of alot easier!!  Realistically you don't need
anything past rc1.d (Single user) I would suggest stopping everything (one
at a time) and see if you can still accomplish everything your Linux machine
is meant to.

  A great link: http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/index-linux.html
  made specially for secureing linux!!