Re: I'm confuzzed!

"Burke, Thomas G." wrote:

> I'm really confuzzed (pronounce it the way it's spelled) about a couple
> things, here...  Could somebody *please* explain to me what the _HECK_ is
> going on here?
>
> 1)  Samba doesn't start on system boot up, I have to do it manually.  Looked
> into /etc/rc.d/rc?.d, and there are no SXXsmb files.  So, I went into rc3.d,
> and created a link to /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb (ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
> S35smbTom)....  Reboot the machine, and it no workie...  I checked the
> permissions, & as far as I can tell, they're identical to every other SXX???
> file in the directory...  Whazzup with that?

We have smb starting at 82, but that may be because I wanted to
make sure lpd and autofs were started first.  (I may be SMB sharing
things that require those.)  I'm stopping it with "K35".  That may
be the default, but I'm not sure.  Did you check the init.d/smb script's
permissions or just the link?

> 2)  Got a preliminary IPCHANS script put together.  Interestingly enough,
> when I type "./rc.firewall", the machine comes back & tells me something
> along the lines of "file not found"....  I do an ls, and sure enough, the
> file is sitting right there!  Doesn't matter if I rename it to something
> else, same crap happens...

Is it saying that "./rc.firewall" is not found or that some file
refernced withing is not found?  Also, check your shell invocation
at the top of the script.

> 3) Just a question, maybe someone can answer....  is the rcX.d directories
> the best place to ensure that daemons don't run (IE DNS, NFS, or whatever),
> by erasing the SXX??? files, or maybe the actual files they point to in the
> init.d directory, or is there some better (nicer) way of shutting this stuff
> down these days?  Also, which ones should I be sure _NOT_ to turn off?

Well, the way I learned it was supposed to work doesn't seem to be
the norm on Redhat.  The /etc/rc.d/rc script has two lines that read:

                # Check if the script is there.
                [ ! -f $i ] && continue

These are in there twice, once for kill and once for start.  If this
were "[ ! -x $i ] && continue", as I would prefer, you can simply
chmod a script in init.d to activate/deactivate it.  Only scripts
that were marked as executable would then be run as you change runlevels.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc grainsystems com