GigaNIC troubles

Recently put together a new server using RedHat 6.1. Motherboard (SuperMicro) has built in 100 BaseT Ethernet port. Added Alteon Acenic Gigabit Ethernet to system. The first time I configure the adapter under X in the network control panel, it works fine. If I reboot the system, the adapter fails to laod and I can no longer adctivate it manually (ifconfig up eth1 returns device not found or some such) Any ideas?

--alan
          alan jpreng com            |          Computer Solutions
         Alan R. Hirshberg           |         for Digital Imaging
          JPR Engineeing             |      Digital Video and Pre Press