Re: FW: I'm confuzzed!

"Burke, Thomas G." wrote:

> OK, the samba question is fixed...  I had used a sof link before, &
> apparently there was some problem with that.  I remade the link without
> the -s option, and now samba fires up on startup, the way it should.

The "s" is for "symbolic", and there is no reason that it should matter.
Honestly, I can't believe that fixed it.

> Also went through & cleaned up rc3.d by renaming unwanted Sxx???? to
> sxx????...  I ave some questions about some of these, tho - do I need
> automount?  what is it used for, exactly?

DO NOT mess with the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/ directories contents except
to add and remove items if really neccessary.  You're asking for
trouble down the road if you miss one of the runlevels.  If you
want to disable a service, attack the actual service script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/.  (I previously posted a way of allowing you
to activate/deactivate startup scripts with a simple chmod.)

> Now, as for the firewall script, I'm still having the same problem.
>
> first line of script -> #!/bin/sh
>
> I checked, and /bin/sh exists (as a link) - if I type /bin/sh , it
> runs a new shell, so obviously it was working...

Very interesting.

> So, I played with some other scripts (that are also fairly complex),
> and they don't work, either....

Try writing a new script.  Something simple, like:
--------------------------
#!/bin/sh
cat /etc/hosts
--------------------------

See if you can at least get that to work.

> bash: ./rc.firewall: no such file or directory

You're in the same directory as rc.firewall, right?
You typed in, "./rc.firewall", right?
The very first line of rc.firewall is "#!/bin/sh", you said,
and you're sure that "/bin/sh" exists and runs, right?

If that's all "yes", then start with a simpler script
and see if you can see what is going on there.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc grainsystems com