Need help configuring sound card/PPP

Hi,

I'm a newbie RH 6.0 user needing help in configuring my sound card and using PPP to get online. I'm dual booting an HP Pavilion 8180 with Win98 on one IDE drive and RH 6.0 on another. I have a Analog Devices AD1816 sound card and an 56K LT Winmodem.

Sound card configuration from Win98
IRQ      05
DMA1   01
DMA2   00
I/O 022-022F
I/O 0388-038B
I/O 0500 - 050F

I've tried running sndconfig from root.  No Pnp or PCI cards were found. I've selected AD1816 from the Card Type list, and my settings were:
0x530   IRQ 5      DMA1   1      DMA2    0  (do I need to switch the I/O setting?)

I already have a /etc/conf.modules file  .  When sndconfig tries to play a sample, my error msg is this:

/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/ad1816.o:
init_module: Device or resource busy

I've also using pico to edit /etc/isapnp.conf , but not sure if there may be an easier way?

Modem configuration

In linuxconf, I've entered what I believe is the correct info:
Line speed 115200
Modem port: /dev/ttyS1
and all the correct phone numbers and expect / send strings.  When I try to connect, my hard drive reacts but nothing more.

Then I've tried to run minicom 1.82  - it says it's initializing the modem, but nothing more.
I've also entered from root     ifup ppp
I get:
usage:   ifup <device name>

Any suggestions?  Does the LT Win Modem name mean it's primarily a software driven modem?

Thanks Lars Pace