Re: connecting two hard disks

On Sun, 7 May 2000, doel Roy wrote:

> HI!
> I have 2 hard disks - which arent connected. one has redhat 5.2 and the other
> has win95. how could i connect these 2 and get  a choice of booting either
> Linux or win95. The 2 OS's have been installed separately at different times
> and so are unaware of the other's presence
> Doel
>
> Doel Roy
> e-mail:doelroy usa net

As I see it, you have three options. Are you using LILO on your linux
drive? If so, then I believe you can include a reference to your win98
drive in lilo.conf. See the relevant man page for more details. A
second method is to use System Commander to boot both OSes. Make win98
your master drive and your linux drive your slave drive. Then set the
bootable partition in SC to be either the mbr or the root superblock,
whichever partition you specified as bootable during RH setup. This is
an easy and effective way to boot numerous OSes, but has some issues
with FAT32 partitions, at least the version I am using (4.031). A
final method which has worked well, is to bypass LILO and use loadlin
to load linux from windows. The following url gives a procedure to
create a boot menu from within windows that displays a a list of OSes
to choose from. I have used this method to boot win98, linux, and BeOS
successfully on a machine at work.

http://www.eskimo.com/~praxis/index.html

Hope this is of some use to you.

Regards,