Dell Laptop Install Help

I am trying to install Linux on an old Dell 100 Laptop that was given to

me. It has an external CD drive with a card that you slip into a side
slot. In Windows the CD drive works just fine but when I try to use it
to install Linux off of a CD the Linux Install program does not
recognize the CD Drive. I really have no idea how to make the Linux
Install see the CD Drive ??
--
James