Re: DNS problem, nslookup not working

"Brian A. Bucher" wrote:

> If I'm on a computer on our local network and I telnet to
> npisrv1.n-p-i.net, then npisrv1 recognizes the data
> coming from the remote computer as coming from
> a computer with an IP address starting with 192.168.3.blah.
>
> If I telnet with the same computer to a host somewhere else,
> like at MIT or something, then the machine at MIT sees me
> coming from a 216.foo.foo.blah (where "blah" can change
> depending on the computer)
>
> So, the packets from the computer are from 216. until they
> hit the switch, which says "I'll now replace this 216. address
> with a 192. address."

But will the switch allow incoming connections to specific
internal machines?  You'll need an external address whose
port 53 is directly routed back inside to the real DNS server.
(BTW, you will likely want this machine in a DMZ.  I hope
that switch NAT isn't the last firewall.)

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc grainsystems com