RedHat 6.1 installation reboots before writing partitions

I'm trying to install RedHat 6.1 from CD onto an AMD Athlon system with an FIC SD11 motherboard and a 10.2 GB Western Digital Caviar UDMA/66 drive.  It seems I have a few things working against me here.  The hardware compatibility list suggests that Athlon motherboards may be incompatible and a quick search of the mailing list archives suggests that UDMA/66 may be the problem.

I am using the graphic installation, custom install.  Right after I define the partitions I want and click next, the GUI goes away and I'm left at a console that says the system is being shut down.  There is no indication of any errors before that, except a missing security policy file for X which other postings here have said is no big deal.  If I use the text installation, at the same point I get kicked out of the install program but I see a signal 11 error.

I don't understand the UDMA/66 problem.  Is my motherboard forcing UDMA/66 and Linux cannot access the drive because of it?  I have all of the bios settings relating to my drive set to AUTO DETECT, so it is in control.  I suppose I could try to drop the drive down to UDMA/33 and see what happens, but I'd rather not impact NT performance just for the sake of having Linux on the same drive.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try next?  I've noticed that the 6.1 installation can be a bit flakey but this fails at the same exact place everytime.  The other thing I should mention is that I already have Windows NT 4.0 workstation installed (on an NTFS partition) on the same drive and I'm attempting to install Linux to unpartitioned free space.  I am using the lastest boot image from the RedHat errata that says it fixes a problem in recognizing NTFS partitions.  Thanks in advance!

Mike