Python Programming

I imagine this isn't an appropriate question for this group, but I believe
an answer could be had here, so...

Anyone know if Python is worth getting into for this old VB programmer? The
best book to start learning? Any other language ideas? I hate to say it
here, but I feel the good old U.S.A. is 'C'-sick... So, though I've written
some nice little /bin/sh scripts, I've not gotten into 'C' at all...
Exposing my weaknesses too much?

Karl L. Pearson
Senior uniVerse Database Analyst
Senior Unix/NT/Win Analyst