Re: CPU / Ram problems

Hi Michael,

looks to me like the kernel you are using could do with some updating
and recompilation. Grab the latest stable kernel (2.2.15 I think) from
one of the mirrors attached to ftp://ftp.kernel.org. su to root. Copy it
to /usr/src/. In /usr/src/, make sure your old kernel source is backed
up. Do an ls -l. If there's a symbolic link from linux to some other
directory, just delete it. If there's a directory called linux, mv it to
linux.bak. Extract the new kernel code. If it's a .tar.bz2 file, do
bunzip2 kernel-2.2.15.tar.bz2, then tar xf kernel-2.2.15.tar. If it's a
.tar.gz file, just do tar xzf kernel-2.2.15.tar.gz. This will create a
/usr/src/linux directory.

Now cd to that directory. If you have X up, cool. If not, startx.
Execute the command: make xconfig. This will bring up a nice gui if you
have all your TCL/TK stuff installed. If it fails to run, it could be
one of two problems. Either TCL/TK isn't installed (the error messages
will be useful) and you should probably install it, or root doesn't have
permission to run X apps from a su'd console. This is no prob. Just log
out of X and log back in again as root proper. Now you should be able to
execute make xconfig no problems.

If that doesn't work, you could just do make menuconfig from within a
console. It's less pretty, but it get's the job done.

Go through and configure the kernel for your hardware. You'll want in
particular MTTR support, Symmetric multi-processing support, and
enhanced real time clock support as absolute minimum requirements for
your PC.

Just go through the whole list. Read all the help files for the things
you aren't sure about. Take your time. This is a great opportunity to
learn about the capabilities of the Linux kernel.

When you are done, save and exit. Do a make dep, followed by a make
bzImage. Once it's compiled okay (problems are outside the skope of this
email :o), do "cp /boot/System.map /boot/System.map.bak", then "cp
System.map /boot", then "cp arch/i386/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15",
then "make modules", then "make modules_install".

Then you have to configure /etc/lilo.conf for your new kernel. Copy the
bit that deals with your current kernel and paste it below, so you have
two sections. Edit the second one by changing the label to something
like new_linux, and change the second image= line to
"image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.15". Then bail out and call the "lilo" command.
You should see two or three "added..." lines. One of those should be the
label of your new kernel (new_linux from above, yes?).

Then try a reboot. At the lilo prompt, type "new_linux" and watch what
happens. If it doesn't work, you can restart and just use your old
kernel until you sort things out. Hope this is useful for you.

Best regards,
Paul Dorman.