From: Leonard den Ottolander [mailto:l j den ottolander freeler nl]
Sent: 08 May 2000 23:05
To: redhat-install-list redhat com
Subject: Re: RedHat 6.1 installation reboots before writing partitions

Date forwarded: 	8 May 2000 18:47:03 -0000
From:           	"Mike Hansen" <mgh520 yahoo com>
To:             	<redhat-install-list redhat com>
Subject:        	RedHat 6.1 installation reboots before writing
partitions
Date sent:      	Mon, 8 May 2000 13:46:25 -0500
Forwarded by:   	redhat-install-list redhat com
Send reply to:  	redhat-install-list redhat com

> I'm trying to install RedHat 6.1 from CD onto an AMD Athlon system with
> an FIC SD11 motherboard and a 10.2 GB Western Digital Caviar
> UDMA/66 drive.  It seems I have a few things working against me here.
> The hardware compatibility list suggests that Athlon motherboards may
> be incompatible and a quick search of the mailing list archives suggests
> that UDMA/66 may be the problem.
>
> I am using the graphic installation, custom install.  Right after I define
> the partitions I want and click next, the GUI goes away and I'm left at
> a console that says the system is being shut down.  There is no
> indication of any errors before that, except a missing security policy
file
> for X which other postings here have said is no big deal.  If I use the
text
> installation, at the same point I get kicked out of the install program
but I
> see a signal 11 error.
>
> I don't understand the UDMA/66 problem.  Is my motherboard forcing
> UDMA/66 and Linux cannot access the drive because of it?  I have all of
> the bios settings relating to my drive set to AUTO DETECT, so it is in
> control.  I suppose I could try to drop the drive down to UDMA/33 and see
> what happens, but I'd rather not impact NT performance just for the sake
> of having Linux on the same drive.

 You don't have to worry about a performance loss because of using
UDMA/33MHz=MB/s. The WD drive you have won't saturate the interface.
For the moment UDMA/66 only offers a theoretical advantage over
UDMA/33. If you think you can solve the problem this way, try it!
 By the way, can you access the drive using a rescue disk? Do you set a
boot partition below 8GB?

> Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try next?  I've noticed that
> the 6.1 installation can be a bit flakey but this fails at the same exact
> place everytime.  The other thing I should mention is that I already have
> Windows NT 4.0 workstation installed (on an NTFS partition) on the same
> drive and I'm attempting to install Linux to unpartitioned free space.  I
am
> using the lastest boot image from the RedHat errata that says it fixes a
> problem in recognizing NTFS partitions.  Thanks in advance!
>
> Mike

 I am sorry I can't be of any more help with the problem. I have no
experience with Athlons nor UDMA/66...

 Good luck!
 Leonard.