Re: RedHat 6.1 installation reboots before writing partitions

Ok, I've been spending a little time at the RedHat site.  First, I don't know
where the "8GB limit" came from.  The only thing I've found is that LILO has a
limitation imposed by the BIOS that says everything in /boot must be below
cylinder 1023 (which the docs say typically mean below 512MB for an IDE drive).
It also mentions that some newer BIOSes don't have this 1023 limitation, so it's
not LILO but the BIOS.

Second, that same RH solutions database article says that a work-around for the
1023 cylinder problem is to not use LILO but to use LOADLIN or something
similar.

Given all of this, it would seem to imply that this is not the cause of my
install problem because I'm not even getting to the point of installing LILO
since the install dies before the partitions are even formatted.  There was also
a suggestion in the Linux-NT how-to that you use fdisk from Linux first, then
reboot and run the Redhat install.  Does anyone know how to boot far enough into
linux to run fdisk before actually installing Linux?

One final interesting note:  the FAQ says that signal 7 or 11 errors are
typically caused by hardware problems, but I don't know where'd I'd begin to
track this down.  NT is running fine on this machine, but perhaps I have
something incompatible with Linux.  I used to be running RedHat 5.2 on this
machine until I upgraded the MB, CPU, memory and harddrive.  But the video card,
sound card and cdrom drive have not changed.  It seems like this should work, as
Stuart and I both have Athlons and our motherboards both have the same chipset I
believe (AMD 751 I think it is).

If anyone has any other ideas on what I could try (short of uninstalling NT), I
would appreciate it.  Thanks for all the help so far.

Mike