RE: RedHat 6.1 installation reboots before writing partitions

> Ok, I've been spending a little time at the RedHat site.
> First, I don't know
> where the "8GB limit" came from.

neither do I, tho from experience I know it exists.

> The only thing I've found is that LILO has a
> limitation imposed by the BIOS that says
> everything in /boot must be below cylinder 1023
> It also mentions that some newer BIOSes don't
> have this 1023 limitation, so it's not LILO
> but the BIOS.

my boot partition has successfully been anything from 1GB to 5GB into the
drive.

> Second, that same RH solutions database article
> says that a work-around for the
> 1023 cylinder problem is to not use LILO
> but to use LOADLIN or something similar.

Resulted in the same problem in my case (linux partition not being detected)

> since the install dies before the partitions are even formatted.  There
was

I usually use Partition Magic to format my Linux drives, as the formatter
that comes with Mandrake usually incorrectly formats my drive, resulting in
a "Bad" partition table.  I found a similar problem with RH6.1

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Stu.