NT OS Loader + Linux = how?

I just read "NT OS Loader + Linux mini-HOWTO" v.1.11 and tried to follow
it in order to boot my dual system (Windows NT 4.0 Server SP6, Linux Red
Hat 6.1). I haven't managed that yet but got some problems.

First of all, I want to tell you that, for more than a year, I have
running the system as follows:

1. I have installed NT on the first partition of my HDD (C: disk or
/dev/hda1)
2. There I also have another NTFS partition (D: disk or /dev/hda2)
2. Then I have installed Linux (native is /dev/hda3, swap is /dev/hda4)
4. I put LILO on MBR and configured /boot as /dev/hda and /root as
/dev/hda3
5. Interestingly, LILO have not overwritten NT Loader, but placed
'before' NT
6. During the first run of Linux, I added an entry for 'nt' from
/dev/hda1
7. When I boot the computer now, it goes to LILO at first and:
   - if I choose 'linux' it goes to Linux OS
   - if I choose 'nt' it goes to usual NT Loader (NT and NT in VGA
mode).

Ok. I know it is not the procedure covered by HOWTO from above, so I
tried to make it that way for an experiment. I made several samples of
'dd' commands and used BOOTPART utility and got various results:

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

This case, from within NT OS Loader when I choose 'Linux' entry, it
calls LILO again. At this point, if I choose 'nt' entry, it returns to
NT OS Loader.

# dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

This case, from within NT OS Loader, when I choose 'Linux' entry, it
returns to NT OS Loader again.

# dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

This case, from within NT OS Loader, when I choose 'Linux' entry, I got
an error message like this:

bootpart 2.20 bootsector
cannot load from hard disk.
insert system disk and press any key.

FYI, from within LILO (before it jumps into NT Loader) I boot Linux
without problems, as well as I boot Windows from within NT Loader.
Beside that, I have to tell you that I haven't change params within
lilo.conf in order to not allow to loose a way to boot Linux from within
LILO (normally as before).

Well, I can live without all that mess I've got into. But, I tried to
become familiar with the idea in order to configure another computer
with four SCSI disks. There I have also Windows NT server installed on
the first HDD as NTFS partition (it is C: or if you more like /dev/sda1
:-)). I also plan to use the 2nd and 3rd disks as NTFS partitions (D:
and E: or /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1) and, finally, the last one for Linux
(/dev/sdd1 as native and /dev/sdd2 as swap).

So far - so good. I have installed a couple of Linux'es (Red Hat or
Caldera) onto the 4th HDD and it seemed to be ok, until the first
reboot. I don't know if SCSI disks might become confused by my actions,
anyway after "LI" nothing happens. I just can't make it working similar
as the other computer described above. That's why I try to follow
HOWTO's idea.

Does anybody, experienced with the topic, has some advises how to make
things working? Btw, is there some other boot managers available that
are capable to
boot either NT or Linux (or else), instead of both LILO and NT Loader
combo?

Misko