Linux slower than Windows98

I have installed Red Hat 6.2 my problem is that linux is very slower than Windows98 on the same computer. Gnome is straight infuriating, while with Kde go better. I have already tried to compile the kernel, the Ram of 62 Mb results be free always for only 2 o 3 Mb.
Are not there services of active net and when do i try to verify with "top", does "top" result be the more binding process, like could I do ?
Thank you
pacmo

--
TiscaliFreeNet, libero accesso ad Internet.
http://www.tiscalinet.it