PAM and POP/IMAP

Could any one please give ideas about how I can use the PAM and POP or IMAP.
We want to maintain large number of users in a Linux Mail server. Now the
USERID and PASS are stored in MS SQL (NT box). Would it be possible to do
user authentication for only POP/IMAP using PAM from the USER/PASS in MS
SQL. The second thing is how would I create POP user without home directory
(/home/username).

Help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Razzakul Haider