Cannot compile anything

Hello everybody,

sorry if this message appears twice, but it didn't show up after awhile, so I'm resending it.

I've just installed RH 6.1, but it doesn't compile anything! Admittedly, I installed RH with custom install, perhaps I missed a package?

If I e.g. try to build a new kernel and type "make menuconfig" in /usr/src/linux, I get

rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.12/scripts/lxdialog'
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE -DCURSES_LOC="<
curses.h>" -c lxdialog.c -o lxdialog.o
In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
dialog.h:22: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:23: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:24: unistd.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:25: ctype.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:26: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:27: string.h: No such file or directory
dialog.h:29: curses.h: No such file or directory
lxdialog.c:53: locale.h: No such file or directory

If I try to compile other programs, I get similar error msgs (none of the included headers is found). But I can see all of the header files in /usr/src/linux/include/linux !
I've already tried to add the include path with -I<path> and -L<path>, to no avail.
The packages kernel-headers, kernel-source and egcs are installed.

What am I missing here?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Nicole
--