Restricting access in apache.

Okay all you apache guru's! ;)

I successfully have a directory of mine restricted so that the browser
prompts me to enter my username and password and lets me in just fine.  No
the real challenge once you authenticated and leave the browser open you can
go off somewhere else (physically move or go to another site) and later come
back and the browser will not prompt you to relogin.  I would like to give a
directive(s) to apache that may set a time limit in which the server will
prompt you again to enter your password.  Can the be done with apache
directives or am I supposed to authenticate via any application I may write?
Thanks
Brian