Autoprobing ethernet card

     I am attempting to install an ethernet interface after Redhat 6.0 has
     already been installed.  How can I autoprobe for the card?  Can I just
     run ifconfig eth0. I need to do this remotely on 20 PC's which may or
     may not have the same card, using the same installation script with as
     little user intervention as possible.  Any ideas?

     Thanks,

     Jeff