Re: Basic install problems

On Tue,  9 May 2000 10:17:29 -0700, Randall Poe wrote:

>I'm sure this is basic stuff, but I've read through
>thousands of words on dual-boots and Lilo, and something
>is just not sinking in yet.
>
>Here's my status: I went successfully through an install
>of Redhat 6.2 a couple of days ago, "successful" in the
>sense that it liked my partition structure, it completed
>the install with no error messages, and it created a
>boot disk.
>
>Yet I still can't actually run Linux. There are two
>separate issues.
>
>1. What do I need to have BootMagic start up Linux?
>Apparently the boot program (LILO?) is not there on
>the hard disk partition that BootMagic points to, and
>I guess I need to properly install it. I've got
>separate partitions for /boot, root, /usr, and
>swap. Pointing BootMagic to either /boot or root
>works equally well, or rather fails equally (I get
>a text screen that says "Preparing system to boot
>Linux", possibly from BootMagic, and then it hangs.
>
>Note that I did NOT put LILO in my MBR, nor do I want
>to. From all I've read, what I want should be very
>do-able.

Yes, it is.  But you need to put lilo on the boot record of your linux "/"
partition rather than the MBR.  That way Boot Magic will invoke lilo and
lilo will load linux and all is good in the world.  To install lilo in the
boot record of the "/" partition, first figure out which device this is,
ie:

[john starfleet john]$ mount
/dev/hda7 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda8 on /home type ext2 (rw,usrquota,quota)
/dev/hda9 on /var type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /opt type ext2 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/win98 type vfat (rw,noexec,umask=000,quiet)

This shows that "/" is on /dev/hda7 on my system.  Then you edit
/etc/lilo.conf to tell lilo where it should install:

boot=/dev/hda
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Change this line to "boot=/dev/hda7" or whatever it happens to be on your
system.  Then run "lilo" and it will install to the boot record of your
"/" partition.

But "Boot Magic" is superfluous if you can use lilo.  The only advantage
is the pointy-clicky GUI interface.  If you can type "DOS" or "linux" at
the LILO: prompt you can
select between operating systems anyway.

>1a. Some of the HOWTOs mention editing config files
>once I boot off floppy. What editors are available
>to me at that point?

"vi" certainly.  Possibly emacs or pico.

>2. I can't boot off my floppy either, but that's a
>different problem. It hangs up while trying to
>initialize SCSI. I had thought I bypassed SCSI
>installation, since I ran into hang-up problems
>earlier with SCSI autodetection during the install.
>At least with the floppy I get verbose output: the
>symptom is that it chooses a SCSI board automatically,
>then goes into an (infinite?) loop where it tries
>to initialize it and times out.

Can you boot off your install diskette (or CD) and get to a prompt?  If
so, compile a new kernel specifying your hardware.  Install it and re-run
lilo to update the boot record and reboot.

John (john thompson attglobal net)