network card config question

Simple question here:  I have an ethernet card on RedHat 6.1.  I somehow

entered an incorrect netmask value and I want to change it.  I used
"ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0" but after rebooting and
checking "ifconfig" again, it still reports the old value of netmask.
I was doing this thru a telnet session from Windows so I didn't have an
client and couldn't run netconf (is this the name?).
Is this info stored in a text file somewhere that I can go edit?  Or is
this 'THE' way to change your network card settings?