Re: pxe problem

Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has gotten Red Hat's pxe package working?  For
> some reason mine tells me that the MENU/PROMPT section of my config is
> incorrect.  Anyone have suggestions?
>
> -jeremy

I'v got it working more or less out of the box, config is attached but I
think it's just the basic one. I'm stuck on it actually booting the
kernel from the install disk but since I was just killing some time with
a new toy I'll probably not look at it until our summer break.
Annoyingly I can't seem to get the 3c905c I've been playing with to
automatically boot off the hard disk if the pxe boot fails.

Oh, I'm using ISC's dhcpd server on another box to give it it's IP
address

Iain Rae
Computing Officer
Dept. Civil & Offshore Engineering
Heriot-Watt University
#  *******  PXE CONFIGURATION FILE *******
# Any Line starting with a '#" is treated as a comment line
# and ignored. However, '#' must be the first character on
# a line and no spaces before that are allowed.

# The following entry is the name of the interface on which pxe is going
# to operate. We use this interface to get the ip address automatically.

[Network_Interface_Name]
eth0

# The following entry will be queried if PXE fails to get
# the IP address automatically through 'ifconfig' like code built-in. This
# is only needed if the above interface name is not present in the system

[OurIpAddress]
#192.215.100.202

# This entry shows the base directory of the mtftpd. All file names/paths
# will be relative to this directory. This is the same name that should
# be used as the start up argument to the mtftpd daemon.

[Mtftpd_Root_Directory]
/tftpboot

# Set the following entry to 0 if you have a DHCP server running on this
# system.

[UseDHCPPort]
1

# Set the entry below to zero if you don't want this system to act
# as a PXE proxyDHCP

[StartProxy]
1

# Set the entry below to zero if you don't want this system to act as a
# PXE boot server

[startBootService]
1

[MasterProxy]
1

# 0 - broadcast discovery is enabled; 1 - broadcast discovery is disabled

[Discovery_BCast_Disabled]
0

# 0 - multicast discovery is enabled; 1 - multicast discovery is disabled

[Discovery_MCast_Disabled]
0

# Multicast Discovery address. The boot server would listen on this address
# for multicast boot server packets.

[Discovery_MCast_Addr]
224.0.1.2

# Prompt to display on the user screen
# format of this entry: timeout,<string>

[Prompt]
10,Press F8 to view menu ...

# This entry is set to 1 if the client should accept only responses
# from servers in this list

[Discovery_Server_List_Only]
0

# the format of the discovery_list entry is as follows
# type of the server, # of entries, Ip address of each entry
# separated by commas

[Discovery_List]
#3,2,192.215.100.49,192.215.100.99
#65535,1,192.215.100.45

# In some systems, the all '1' broadcast address 255.255.255.255
# won't work as the system will fail with a network unreachable message.
# In those cases, you can use the 'route add -host 255.255.255.255 eth0'
# command to add a route. Or else, you can define the host portion of the
# address alone as '1' in the following entry. This entry is not
# required if your system is set up to transmit
# broadcast packets on 255.255.255.255

[Broadcast_ip_address]
#192.215.100.255

# Architectures supported
# format : <arch-type>,<arch-string>

[PROC_ARCH]
0,X86PC

# Boot server types supported

[Service_Types]
0,BStrap
13,linux-install
# 14,linux-boot

# Menu string that will be displayed on the client screen
# after F8 is pressed.
[X86PC/UNDI/MENU]
0,Local Boot
13,Remote Install Linux
# 14,Remote Boot Linux

# Image file name for Linux install boot server type
[X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/ImageFile_Name]
0
2
linux

# Image file name for Linux boot server type
# [X86PC/UNDI/linux-boot/ImageFile_Name]
# 0
# 2
# linux

# Image file name for BStrap boot server

[X86PC/UNDI/BStrap/ImageFile_Name]
0
0
bstrap

# List of plug-ins. The PXEClientTester is the plug-in that
# validates received packets for PXE compliance. By default, this
# plug-in is DISBALED. Remove the '#" in front of it, if you want
# packet validation to happen

[Parsers]
# PXEClientTester
PxeParser

[Parsers/PxeParser/MainFunction]
PxeParser

[Parsers/PxeParser/DllPath]
/usr/lib/libpxeParser.so

[Parsers/PXEClientTester/MainFunction]
PXEClientTester

[Parsers/PXEClientTester/DllPath]
/usr/lib/libpxeTester.so

# Even if the PXEClientTester is loaded, you still need to
# turn this flag to '1' for packet validation.

[TestOn]
1

# Directory where the results of the packet validation by PXEClientTester
# will be written to. Under this directory, there will be
# sub-directories with the last 8 digits of the MAc address of
# each client.

[TestPath]
/tmp

# Option DLL for BStrap

[X86PC/UNDI/BStrap/Vendor_Dll]
/usr/lib/libBstrapOpts.so

# Fill in a NT server name that will be contacted by the client
# to log back in for APitest

[ServerName]
#vviswana-desk2

# Specify whether the above server is in a domain or a workgroup

[IsDomain]
0

# specify the name of the workgroup or domain of the server

[Domain]
starwars

# All debug related stuff here

# If this entry is set to 1, pxe services will write
# more debug info to the system log using syslog()

[DEBUG/PxeServices_DebugOutToWindow_On]
0

# If this entry is set to 1, pxe parser will write
# more debug info to the system log using syslog()

[DEBUG/PxeParsers_DebugOutToWindow_On]
0

# If this entry is set to 1, pxe services will write
# more debug info to the file mentioned
# under the entry [DEBUG/PxeServices_Debug_FileName]

[DEBUG/PxeServices_DebugOutToFile_On]
0

# If this entry is set to 1, pxe parser will write
# more debug info to the file mentioned
# under the entry [DEBUG/PxeParsers_Debug_FileName]

[DEBUG/PxeParsers_DebugOutToFile_On]
0

[DEBUG/PxeServices_Debug_FileName]
/PxeServiceLog.txt