MBR Clean up

I posted a message some time ago about a problem installing Linux 6.0 and
now that exams have finished, I'm giving it another go...

The Background
--------------
I'd installed Linux 5.2 successfully, which then stopped working when I
repartitioned the HD using Partition Magic to make room for MatLab. I
added a new HD for the sole purpose of Linux but having been trhough the
whole installing faff for 6.0, I get the error error message saying I
can't make a boot up disk (the floppy drive doesn't even churn) nor does
it let me install LILO. Linux 5.2 has the same problem.

The Possible Solution?
----------------------
I've restored the hardware configuration to the previous setting and I
still get the same problem so I'm now suspecting that the fault lies in
the MBR. I read in a PC magazine that FDISK can be used to repair the
MBR. It also says that the command is "Fdisk/MBR" but it didn't work for
me...

Is there an alternative (free) software that will clean up the MBR?

BIOS Virus protector
The other possible solution is that the BIOS virus checker might be
enabled -the last time I found it, it was disabled.... The stupid thing is
I just can't find the damn thing in the BIOS manager! Where could it be??

Thanks!
tak

Cambridge: Tel (01223) 521 569