Re: stuff

Derek Ryan White wrote:
> Just a couple questions.
> Is there a log that tells you when people login and any
> incorrect logins?
> Is there one for the telnet rpm?
> How can I telnet and login as root?  It says it is an incorrect
> login.
> How can I send messages to people logged into my system?
> Should I need to change the inetd.conf file at all if I just
> want to run telnet and apache?
> Can you tell I am new?
> (Don't answer.)
> Thanks,
>         Derek

All login messages including telnet logins are written to
/var/log/secure.  Telnet is configured so that you cannot login as
root.  The way around this is to login as a regular user and then login
as su.

To send a message to a user logged onto your system, you might try write
- check the manual pages for usage.  man write

If you want to disable other services, yes you need to edit inetd.conf

Linux "The Best Things In Life Are Free" ...
org:U.S. Air Force;Database Management
email;internet:jadaniels2 home com
note:Looking for Linux work at home..
fn:James Daniels