Faxing in Linux

I've been playing around with different faxing routines in Linux and
thus far have been defeated.  I've tried Hylafax by using an RPM but
encountered problems when I tried to execute it.  So I tried the source
code and once again encountered my weakness with compiling a program
under Linux.
  Now I've decided to work with mgetty and mgetty-sendfax.  Does anyone
have some productive suggestions?  I'm working on a RH6.0.

Best Regards,
Art Ross