telnet and ftp are VERY slow!

Hi all,
I have two RH 6.0 machines set up and am using telnet and ftp to transfer
files around.
Telnet and ftp works fine except that they are very slow. The actual
transfer rate isn't
slow but the time that I have to wait for the login prompt to come up takes
a long time,
over 2 minutes! I am new to linux and am not sure if that is normal, but I
suspect it isn't.
Hey, it only takes about 5 seconds for me to log in to my school account.
Why would it
take so long for 2 local machine to talk?

Thanks a lot.
David