Re: Dell LM P-133ST Install Help Needed

James Diefenderfer wrote:

> how do i boot in DOS mode ? the only dos mode i see is under windows ?
>
> dragonfriek dragonfriek simplenet com wrote:
>
> > Booting into DOS mode, making sure that the mscdex driver has recognized
> > your drive and then running autoboot.bat from the dosutils folder on the
> > cd-rom should work.  I'm pretty sure you can't run it from within Win98,
> > so you might need to check around and see what you need to do to get
> > DOS mode cd support.  There should be some info on the RedHat site
> > perhaps.
> >
> > Jacquie
> >
> > James Diefenderfer wrote:
> >
> > > Dell LM P-133ST Laptop with one bay for either the floppy drive or the
> > > cd drive. Both work under Windows 98.
> > >
> > > I can not select the cd drive to be a startup disk. The Bios setup does
> > > not provide this option.
> > >
> > > I REALLY would like to install Linux !
> > >
> > > Can anyone here help me or at least point me in the right direction ?
> > >
> > > PLEASE, don't send me to the linux laptop pages they are of no help.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > --
> > > James
> > >
> > > --

Hm, let's see... Not good at email tech support, but... in windows, go to the
start menu, type run, then type 'sysedit'.  Go to your autoexec.bat file and
see if there's a line that says 'rem --By Windows Setup-- c:\mscdex.exe /D
IDE0001' or something like that.  If there is, uncomment it. (Delete the
'rem--By Windows Setup --' part but leave the rest ) Then reboot.  As soon as
it starts to go into the normal boot thing, (if your bios is like mine you'll
get a big box that has a listing of all the info about your computer after the
memory check-- as soon as you see it is a good time) before it says "starting
windows 95' or you get the windows 9x startup screen, hold down the shift key
and keep it down until you get a menu of boot options.  Select 'command prompt
only.'  It should say some stuff about loading a CDROM driver and then it'll
give you a dos prompt.  If shift doesn't work, try F8.  Hopefully you'll have
a working CDROM in dos mode and you can just run autoboot from there.  If any
of this doesn't make sense, email me directly and I'll try to be more clear.
Hope it works!

Jacquie